Connect with us

International

US Sanctions UN Palestine Rights Envoy Francesca Albanese Over Anti-Israel Stance

Published

on

US Sanctions UN Palestine Rights Envoy Francesca Albanese Over Anti-Israel Stance

The United States has imposed sanctions on Francesca Albanese, the United Nations’ special rapporteur on Palestinian rights, due to her stance against Israel.1 US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the decision on Wednesday (July 9), stating that Albanese’s “political and economic attacks” against the United States and Israel would no longer be tolerated.2

Rubio posted on X (formerly Twitter), “We will always stand by our allies’ right to self-defense.”

Albanese has a long history of submitting reports to the UN critical of Israel. She has notably labeled Israel an ‘apartheid state’ and described Hamas’s violence as ‘not unexpected’. Furthermore, she previously proposed accusing the United States of international crimes for President Donald Trump’s actions related to Iranian nuclear facilities.

Albanese has also voiced criticism against American defense technology companies. She has faced accusations of antisemitism, particularly for a past remark suggesting US foreign policy was controlled by a ‘Jewish lobby’, though she later retracted this comment.4

Anne Bayefsky, President of the human rights organization Human Rights Voices, welcomed the sanction, stating, “The US has finally taken action. This measure against Albanese’s incitement to violence and her attempts to deny Israel’s existence is timely.”

Israel also welcomed the sanctions. Israeli Foreign Minister Gideo Sa’ar remarked, “It is time for the UN to open its eyes.” Danny Danon, Israel’s UN envoy, added that Albanese had “damaged the credibility of the United Nations.”

Hillel Neuer, Executive Director of UN Watch, called it a “courageous decision,” noting that a UN official had never before been sanctioned in this manner.

There has been no immediate reaction from the United Nations regarding the sanction.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

Israel declares Gaza City a ‘battle zone’

Published

on

Israel declares Gaza City a ‘battle zone’

Deaths from both Israeli attacks and starvation continue to rise in Gaza. In the past 24 hours, at least 59 Palestinians were killed, including 23 who died while collecting aid. The Health Ministry also confirmed that five more people, including two children, died of hunger and malnutrition, bringing the total number of starvation-related deaths to 322, of whom 121 were children.

Since Israel’s military campaign began on 7 October 2023, more than 63,000 Palestinians have been killed and nearly 160,000 injured. Following the introduction of a new aid distribution system in late May, over 2,200 people have died and more than 16,000 injured while trying to collect aid.

Israel has now declared Gaza City a “battle zone,” suspending daily humanitarian pauses that previously allowed limited aid delivery. The UN said nearly half of all planned humanitarian missions in Gaza have been delayed or blocked by Israeli authorities in the past week.

Aid agencies and UNICEF warn that malnutrition among children in Gaza is worsening, with supplies of therapeutic food critically low. Thousands of children are undergoing emergency screenings and treatment.

Meanwhile, Israeli forces have recovered the body of Ilan Weiss, a citizen abducted by Hamas on 7 October. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to bring back all Israeli hostages, dead or alive. In the US, Microsoft has fired four employees who protested the company’s technology links with Israel.

Continue Reading

International

Denying Islam’s place contradicts Hindu philosophy,” Bhagwat remarks

Published

on

Denying Islam’s place contradicts Hindu philosophy,” Bhagwat remarks

Mohan Bhagwat, chief of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), has said that Islam has been an integral part of Indian society and will continue to remain so. He made the remarks on Thursday (28 August) at an event in New Delhi marking RSS’s centenary celebrations.

Bhagwat stated that those who believe Islam should not exist in India do not understand Hindu philosophy. He emphasized that mutual trust and unity are essential to resolve social conflicts.

Addressing migration issues, he said the government is working to curb illegal infiltration, but stressed that employment opportunities should first go to Indian citizens, including Muslims, rather than outsiders. He also urged respect for religious sensitivities during festivals.

On population, Bhagwat said every family should have no more than three children to maintain balance in the country. He added that this guideline should be accepted by all.

Continue Reading

International

Russia Uses Naval Drone to Destroy Ukrainian Ship for First Time

Published

on

Russia Uses Naval Drone to Destroy Ukrainian Ship for First Time

Russia’s Defense Ministry has claimed that Ukrainian warship Simferopol was sunk in a drone strike on Thursday (28 August) in the Danube Delta, partly located in Ukraine’s Odesa region.

The ministry said the medium-sized Laguna-class vessel was designed for radio, electronic, radar, and optical surveillance, and was the largest ship commissioned by Ukraine in over a decade.

According to Russian media, this marks the first successful use of Russian naval drones to destroy a Ukrainian warship.

Ukraine’s Navy confirmed the attack, reporting at least one crew member killed and several injured. The Simferopol was launched in 2019 and joined Ukraine’s naval fleet in 2021.

Continue Reading

Follow us on Google News

Google News

Trending

Copyright © 2025 Bdtelegraph24.com Online Bangla Newspaper