International
12 Turkish Soldiers Die from Methane Gas Exposure in Northern Iraq Cave Mission

Twelve Turkish soldiers have died after inhaling methane gas during a mission in a cave in northern Iraq, the Turkish Ministry of National Defense announced on Monday. The incident occurred on Sunday during an operation to recover the remains of a soldier who went missing in the cave in 2022 after being killed by Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) fighters.
“Four other of our heroic comrades in arms, affected by methane gas, have died … bringing the total number of victims to 12,” the ministry stated in a post on X. Nineteen soldiers were exposed to the gas inside a site previously used as a hospital by armed fighters. The condition of the remaining seven soldiers was not immediately clear, though Turkish Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya wished them a speedy recovery on X.
The soldiers were conducting a sweep operation inside a cave at an altitude of 852 meters (2,795 feet) in the Metina region. This mission is part of Turkiye’s ongoing Operation Claw-Lock, which targets PKK positions in northern Iraq. The PKK is designated as a terrorist group by Turkiye, the European Union, and the United States.
While methane gas is not considered toxic, it can be deadly in confined spaces due to the risk of suffocation. The ministry has not yet clarified how the gas accumulated inside the cave.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan expressed his “great sorrow” over the incident and extended condolences to the families of the fallen soldiers. Defense Minister Yasar Guler has traveled to the area to oversee inspections and attend ceremonies for the deceased.
International
Israel declares Gaza City a ‘battle zone’

Deaths from both Israeli attacks and starvation continue to rise in Gaza. In the past 24 hours, at least 59 Palestinians were killed, including 23 who died while collecting aid. The Health Ministry also confirmed that five more people, including two children, died of hunger and malnutrition, bringing the total number of starvation-related deaths to 322, of whom 121 were children.
Since Israel’s military campaign began on 7 October 2023, more than 63,000 Palestinians have been killed and nearly 160,000 injured. Following the introduction of a new aid distribution system in late May, over 2,200 people have died and more than 16,000 injured while trying to collect aid.
Israel has now declared Gaza City a “battle zone,” suspending daily humanitarian pauses that previously allowed limited aid delivery. The UN said nearly half of all planned humanitarian missions in Gaza have been delayed or blocked by Israeli authorities in the past week.
Aid agencies and UNICEF warn that malnutrition among children in Gaza is worsening, with supplies of therapeutic food critically low. Thousands of children are undergoing emergency screenings and treatment.
Meanwhile, Israeli forces have recovered the body of Ilan Weiss, a citizen abducted by Hamas on 7 October. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to bring back all Israeli hostages, dead or alive. In the US, Microsoft has fired four employees who protested the company’s technology links with Israel.
International
Denying Islam’s place contradicts Hindu philosophy,” Bhagwat remarks

Mohan Bhagwat, chief of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), has said that Islam has been an integral part of Indian society and will continue to remain so. He made the remarks on Thursday (28 August) at an event in New Delhi marking RSS’s centenary celebrations.
Bhagwat stated that those who believe Islam should not exist in India do not understand Hindu philosophy. He emphasized that mutual trust and unity are essential to resolve social conflicts.
Addressing migration issues, he said the government is working to curb illegal infiltration, but stressed that employment opportunities should first go to Indian citizens, including Muslims, rather than outsiders. He also urged respect for religious sensitivities during festivals.
On population, Bhagwat said every family should have no more than three children to maintain balance in the country. He added that this guideline should be accepted by all.
International
Russia Uses Naval Drone to Destroy Ukrainian Ship for First Time

Russia’s Defense Ministry has claimed that Ukrainian warship Simferopol was sunk in a drone strike on Thursday (28 August) in the Danube Delta, partly located in Ukraine’s Odesa region.
The ministry said the medium-sized Laguna-class vessel was designed for radio, electronic, radar, and optical surveillance, and was the largest ship commissioned by Ukraine in over a decade.
According to Russian media, this marks the first successful use of Russian naval drones to destroy a Ukrainian warship.
Ukraine’s Navy confirmed the attack, reporting at least one crew member killed and several injured. The Simferopol was launched in 2019 and joined Ukraine’s naval fleet in 2021.
-
EDUCATION1 day ago
Women’s Quota Abolished as New Teacher Recruitment Rules Take Effect
-
Health1 day ago
BNP leader Kaiser Kamal brings vision back to hundreds of poor patients
-
International1 day ago
Russia Uses Naval Drone to Destroy Ukrainian Ship for First Time
-
Crime and Justice18 hours ago
Butcher Murdered in Benapole, Killers Use His Own Knife
-
International17 hours ago
Denying Islam’s place contradicts Hindu philosophy,” Bhagwat remarks